Liverpool City Council Planning Committee - 16 October 2001
Site: Former St Paul's Eye Hospital site, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3
Proposal: To redevelop site by the erection of a 9-storey office block, a 10-storey 200-bed hotel, and a 28-storey apartment tower, together with the provision of car parking and associated site works, following partial demolition of 95 Old Hall Street and works in connection with the conversion of the remaining buildings at 91/93 Old Hall Street for purposes within Class A3 (food and drink) of the Town and Country (Use Classes) Order 1987
Applicant: Beetham Organisation Ltd
Application No: 01F/1430
Case File: 05514
D. C. Team: City Centre
Recommendation: Approve with Conditions
Case Officer Report
This report refers to applications - 01F/1430, 01L/1431 and 01L/2075
Site Description - 01F/1430
The application site is a parcel of land at the northern end of Old Hall Street that was formerly occupied by St Paul's Eye Hospital. The site is triangular in shape and is bounded by Old Hall Street to the east, King Edward Street to the west and Brook Street to the south.' The hospital complex was demolished in the mid 1990's and the site was subsequently treated and used as a surface car park. The only remaining buildings comprise a terrace of two storey, Grade II listed cottages at 91/95 Old Hall Street. Part of these buildings are approximately 200 years old and were originally used as coal merchant's offices. They stood on the side of Clarkes Basin, which, at the turn of the eighteenth century, was a terminus of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The buildings were last used as laboratories in connection with the hospital.
The application site is the northern boundary of the City's Commercial Quarter; its immediate neighbours include the telephone exchange at Lancaster House, the Littlewoods building at 100 Old Hall Street and the group of buildings occupied by the Daily Post and Echo and the Royal and Sun Alliance. All the aforementioned buildings are tall and are characteristic of the scale of development along the length of Old Hall Street.
continued . . .